Re: aptitude unintuitive behaviour (bug resolving dependencies?)

On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 10:13:32AM +0200, Klaas Gadeyne <klaas.gadeyne@fmtc.be> was heard to say:
> root@wwwtest:~ #
>   aptitude install horde3
> [...]
> The following NEW packages will be automatically installed:
>   apache-common fontconfig-config libapache-mod-php4 libfontconfig1
>   libgd2-xpm libmcrypt4 libmysqlclient15off libt1-5 libxpm4
>   libzzip-0-12 mysql-common php-cache php-date php-db php-file
>   php-http php-http-request php-log php-mail php-mail-mime
>   php-net-dime
>   php-net-ftp php-net-smtp php-net-socket php-net-url
>   php-services-weather php-soap php-xml-parser php-xml-serializer
>   php-xml-util
>   php4-common php4-gd php4-mcrypt php4-mysql php4-pear
> The following packages will be automatically REMOVED:
>   libgd2-noxpm
> [...]
> 0 packages upgraded, 36 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not
>   upgraded.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] n

  I notice that aptitude isn't actually installing apache -- it looks
like something is dragging in libapache-mod-php4, which depends on
apache-common.

  What's the output if you pass -D on the command-line or type "D"
at the prompt?  Do you get different results if you pass
--without-recommends as a command-line option?

  Daniel