Unsolved Scanner Problem

Problem: USB Scanner locks up (does not reset?) after one or two scans. Disconnecting the usb cable and reconnecting it solves the problem for another couple scans.

The system is Etch with a 2.6.18 kernel compiled from the Debian source.

The problem was first encountered several months ago with an Epson Perfection 2400 Photo scanner using Xsane. After numerous attempts to solve the problem and postings to the debian users list, the xsane users list and the sane backend support I decided the scanner was failing and purchased an Epson Perfection V100 Photo scanner. Same problem with the new scanner. Whats more, when the old scanner was connected to a Windows box it worked perfectly.

I gave up. I don't do a lot of scanning. That's why a bought an El Cheapo instead of an Xsane recommended scanner. So I have been muddling by for months. Its been particularly awkward as I must use iscan with the V100 and it seems to be preset for the wrong page size.

Thinking about this I have concluded that it is not the scanner, it is unlikely that its the sane backend (Iscan uses the sane backend so it is in play for both scanners), it is unlikely that both Iscan and Xsane have the same fault, it is unlikely that it is a udev/usb problem as I have not seen myriad postings on the Debian user's list, so the problem must be with the kernel I complied.

Does any one have any idea what I might have done wrong?

Tom George