CD player with CDDB

I generally use a tiling WM (xmonad, ion, stump, etc.) and listen to
music with mpd.  With that setup I can keep a small text monitor in the
status bar, or other such place, for seeing just what is currently
running.  Every once in a while though I will actually play a cd and I
would like to have such a monitor for that time too, if possible.  I
have gone through the tools in apt and installed all the CLI players
that seemed to be listed but none will return any actual data from
CDDB.  Cdcd seems to imply it can, but it doesn't actually work from
here, instead complaining that it cannot parse the data. (I installed it
and libcdaudio from source just to see but I still got the same error,
btw.)

Does anyone by any chance know of a player, or app, which can return
this information for me?  Since I use a tiling WM gui apps can be
tricky, and I am hoping to find something I can use a command line to
get data from, and google just doesn't seem to return anything I can
use.  Many thanks for any suggestions.

Patrick