Re: Can you disable SMP in the kernel by appending the kernel line in GRUB

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007, Nigel Henry wrote:

I've been trying to help someone on the list with acpi related shutdown
problems, with no success up to now.

When I had shutdown problems with FC5 (fixed with using acpi=force), someone
on the Fedora list suggested that it could be a problem with SMP kernels.

I Googled a bit the other day, and found stuff about recompiling the kernel,
and disabling SMP in it, but is there a way to disable SMP by appending the
kernel line in GRUB?

I read one comment that said:
To disable SMP at bootup, use,
noreplace-smp

Is that an appendment to the kernel line or what? I don't want to suggest
something stupid for Mark to try.

Any comments, suggestions welcome.

Nigel.

Yes, you would want to append that to the kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst . You may also want to try nosmp or maxcpus=0 , both of those will disable the smp code.

-+-
8 out of 10 Owners who Expressed a Preference said Their Cats Preferred Techno.