Can you disable SMP in the kernel by appending the kernel line in GRUB

I've been trying to help someone on the list with acpi related shutdown
problems, with no success up to now.

When I had shutdown problems with FC5 (fixed with using acpi=force), someone
on the Fedora list suggested that it could be a problem with SMP kernels.

I Googled a bit the other day, and found stuff about recompiling the kernel,
and disabling SMP in it, but is there a way to disable SMP by appending the
kernel line in GRUB?

I read one comment that said:
To disable SMP at bootup, use,
noreplace-smp

Is that an appendment to the kernel line or what? I don't want to suggest
something stupid for Mark to try.

Any comments, suggestions welcome.

Nigel.