Re^4: Lenny, X, dead mouse

Andrei, Florian,

Thanks for the assistance.
I installed Lenny beginning with debootstrap.
Then copied some configurations from Etch.
Then used dselect.

Andrei> What xorg packages do you have installed? (dpkg -l xorg*)

||/ Name                  Version        Description
+++-=====================-==============-============================================
ii  xorg                  1:7.2-5        X.Org X Window System
un  xorg-common           <none>         (no description available)
pn  xorg-dev              <none>         (no description available)
ii xorg-docs 1:1.4-2 Miscellaneous documentation for the X.Org so
un  xorg-driver-synaptics <none>         (no description available)
pn  xorg-sgml-doctools    <none>         (no description available)

Florian> I would also like to know the result of
dmesg | grep input

peter@eagleedge:/$ dmesg | grep input
input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard as /class/input/input0
input: C-Media USB Headphone Set   as /class/input/input1
input: USB HID v1.00 Device [C-Media USB Headphone Set ] on usb-0000:00:04.2-2
drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: v2.6:USB HID core driver

No mouse there but in Etch, the output of the
same command includes the mouse.

input: PS2++ Logitech Wheel Mouse as /class/input/input3

f> ... and the output of
ls -l /dev/input/by-id

crw-rw---- 1 root root 13, 63 Aug 20 14:38 /dev/input/mice

f> ... "modprobe psmouse" ...

FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.18-4-686/modules.dep: No such file or directory

So I failed to install a modules package?

debootstrap is the most direct way of installing the
system, yet the documentation is relegated to an
appendix of the installation manual.  Also, that
documentation is rather sparse and needs some elaboration.
After all, a pointing device is essential to a
GUI and most users want a GUI.

Thanks for any further comments.

Regards,           ... Peter E.