Re: network trouble: dhcp works, resolv.conf correct, ping doesn't work

(Sorry about the delay!)

On Mon, 2007.08.20 21:37, Joachim Fahnenmüller wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 09:26:11AM -0500, Owen Heisler wrote:
> > I'm having trouble with the internet connection on a Lenny/Sid system.
> >  It is a very simple connection to a cable modem via an ethernet
> > cable.
> >
> > /etc/network/interfaces includes the lo interface and "iface eth0 inet dhcp".
> >
> > "ifup eth0" seems to work: the dhcp server (cable modem) gives the
> > correct IP address.
> >
> > For some reason, at this point, iptables (I don't use a firewall)
> > starts spitting out a bunch of junk... (if you want to see it say).  I
> > run "iptables -F" to stop that (removes some "log" stuff), but it only
> > works until a reboot.
>
> What does "iptables -L" give (*before* you do "iptables -F")?
> Is there anything in /etc/init.d with a name like iptables or firewall, ...?

Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
target	prot opt source			destination
ACCEPT	all  --  anywhere		anywhere
LOG	all  --  loopback/8		anywhere	LOG level warning
DROP	all  --  loopback/8		anywhere
LOG	all  --  anywhere		anywhere	LOG level warning
DROP	all  --  anywhere		anywhere

Chain FORWARD (policy DROP)
target	prot opt source			destination
LOG	all  --  anywhere		anywhere	LOG level warning
DROP	all  --  anywhere		anywhere

Chain OUTPUT (policy DROP)
target	prot opt source			destination
ACCEPT	all  --  anywhere		anywhere
LOG	all  --  anywhere		anywhere	LOG level warning
DROP	all  --  anywhere		anywhere

I tried 'iptables -F' before bringing up the connection, without success
pinging.
After flushing all the chains, should they still say "policy DROP", although
with no rules?

> > /etc/resolv.conf is correct.
> >
> > "ping google.com" returns "unknown host".
> >
> > It all works when I boot the GRML LiveCD.

I have been setting up another system and used aptitude's package list on it,
and encountered the same problem, so it is a package (from Lenny probably), not
something I have done manually.

Thanks!