Re: Source of Debian wisdom

On 08/19/2007 02:25 PM, Manon Metten wrote:
Hi Douglas,

On 8/19/07, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:

Note that many of the horror stories about aptitude involved
people using it as a CLI replacement for apt-get instead of using its
curses interface.

Are you saying I should NOT use aptitude as a replacement for
apt-get, like this: "aptitude install new-package" ?

I've been using aptitude like this all the time ever since I installed etch
with no problems whatsoever.

What's the problem of doing so and not using it's user interface?

Manon.

I almost exclusively use aptitude under Sarge. Both the curses and command line interfaces work perfectly, and I've never had or heard of a horror story involving aptitude*.

And aptitude is clearly the most advanced interface to the packaging system.

I only use apt-get when I need to install from the source (which aptitude cannot do).

I'm also curious about what problems other people are having with aptitude.

* However, I never do anything at the command line that hasn't been verified as safe. I always use the curses interface to find out what is going to happen before I enter a command at the command line.