Source of Debian wisdom

Hi all,

Recently I've set up a Debian Etch box which I'm nearly ready to bring up full
time (currently using a different distribution...been a linux user for over
10 years).

Here's an example of what this message is about:
I've been reading the debian-user list for a bit, and I've noticed that
suggestions given are to use the apt-* suite or aptitude to managing
packages.  While setting things up (and installing packages) I came across
synaptic in the KDE menus.  Tried it, and liked using it.  So now I'm
wondering according to Debian Wisdom (no disrespect intended to anyonne)
which is the preferred way of installing software?

More generally, is there a document/web page that explains what are the
preferred packages and what is the "Debian Way" of doing things.

Thanks,

Mark