Re: source code installation

On Sat, Aug 18, 2007 at 08:42:03PM +1000, webmail.hce@gmail.com wrote:

> I don't have a network connection, a win modem is the only one I have and I
> am currently working to try compile the win modem source code. I'll have to
> install kernel header files to do it. But first, I have to learn how to
> install packages in Debian.

Good luck with that. If you have problems start a new thread here.

>> P.S. Is there a reason for using apt-get? aptitude is the recommended
>> frontend and also has a nice text interface if you start it without
>> options.
>
> I am new to Debian :-), just follow instructions from people who helped me
> through the package installation. If you could give me aptitude commands
> for package installation, I'll try it.

The basic command-line commands are the same/similar as apt-get:

Command			Interactive		Explanation
line			mode
update			u (small)		update package list
upgrade			(none)			upgrade packages (do not remove or add
								new packages)
dist-upgrade	U (capital U)	upgrade packages (remove or add if
								necessary)
install			+				install package(s)
remove			-				remove package(s) without config files
purge			_ (underscore)	remove package(s) including config files
				g (first)		(go) show scheduled actions (+,-,U,
								...)
				g (second)		perform actions
				Ctrl-t/F10		open menu

HTH,