font size changed recently...why?

I'm running Lenny on my desktop, and I upgrade regularly.  I run X at
1152x864 on a 19" monitor, and have been doing so for years.  Sometime
recently, perhaps within the last 10 days or so, the sizes of several
of my fonts have changed, and I am at a loss to figure out why.  The
world has changed too much, and I no longer know where to look.  My
screen resolution has not changed, and my X server knows the correct
dimensions of my monitor and has an accurate DPI calculation.  It is
not something in my own personal settings, because the font used to
echo my username and draw the bullets when I type my password in gdm
have also shrunk.

If I just knew how gdm picks what fonts it uses, I'd be well on my way
to figuring this out.  In the olden days, I used to edit my xfs
configuration to select 100 dpi fonts over 75 dpi fonts, but my font
path (as shown with xset -q) does actually already have the 100 dpi
fonts first.

Any application for which I specify fonts explicitly with my X
resources remains the same (xterm, emacs, etc.).  The default font
size has shrunk for gdm, sawfish, and iceweasel.  I don't run gnome
(except gdm) -- my desktop consists of xterms and emacs, which are
fine.

Any hints on where to look would be most appreciated.  I've already
dug through packages that appear to have been upgraded in the last
several days, though I can't pinpoint the exact time when I noticed
the changes in the font size.  I believe I did an aptitude
full-upgrade recently after not having done one for a couple of weeks.

Thanks for any advice.

--
Jay Berkenbilt <ejb@ql.org>
a.k.a. qjb@debian.org