Re: What to install to get a working latex system? texlive or tetex?

On Thursday 16 August 2007 20:23, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I searched the mailing list for answers to the texlive vs tetex issues. The
> answers seems to be that texlive is the newer for updated distribution for
> tex and latex documents. Thus, I installed the 'texlive-latex-base' package
> and was a happy camper. Latex was working fine.
>
> However, the issue now comes up when I need additional latex packages such
> as being able to use the \includegraphics command which is a part of
> package graphicx for latex. So I decided to install the package
> 'texlive-latex-extra'. However, aptitude complains about dependencies and
> proposes a solution to remove the previous texlive packages I have
> installed and instead goes ahead and wants to install tetex-bin,
> tetex-base, etc.
>
> Anyone have similar experiences? Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks for your time,
> Amit
Yep: I did indeed have the exact same experience when I upgraded from Sarge to
Etch. I have  installed at least two apps that do NOT like
Texlive--Sql-ledger and more importantly Mediawiki.  I could not get the
invoice templates & a few other templates to work in Sql-ledger with texlive.
Mediawiki would not handle any math editing functions properly without tetex.
So i reinstalled tetex & all of the older latex templates. FWIW: both kile &
lyx did not seem to mind texlive.
Best wishes!!
--
John W. Foster