What to install to get a working latex system? texlive or tetex?

Hey guys,

I searched the mailing list for answers to the texlive vs tetex issues. The
answers seems to be that texlive is the newer for updated distribution for tex
and latex documents. Thus, I installed the 'texlive-latex-base' package and was
a happy camper. Latex was working fine.

However, the issue now comes up when I need additional latex packages such as
being able to use the \includegraphics command which is a part of package
graphicx for latex. So I decided to install the package 'texlive-latex-extra'.
However, aptitude complains about dependencies and proposes a solution to remove
the previous texlive packages I have installed and instead goes ahead and wants
to install tetex-bin, tetex-base, etc.

Anyone have similar experiences? Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time,
Amit