Re: Font Smoothing in Xterm

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 10:04:09 +0000 (UTC)
Amit <amit.uttam@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok I tried putting it in .Xdefaults. This is my current .Xdefaults:
>
> xterm*background: black
> xterm*foreground: white
> xterm*cursorColor: SkyBlue
> xterm*font: -bitstream-bitstream vera sans mono-medium-r-normal-
> *-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
> xterm*ScrollBar: off
> xterm*SaveLines: 2500
> Xft.antialias: 1
> Xft.dpi: 93
> Xft.hinting: 1
> Xft.hintstyle: hintfull
> Xft.rgba: rgb
>

> No change in xterm but GTK apps have changes. The menubar fonts in
> firefox, for example, are smaller.
>
> Amit

The change in font size is due to the value of 'Xft.dpi'. Try 96
instead of 93.

You need to specify a truetype font using the 'faceName' resource, not
'font'. So the relevant lines would be:

    XTerm*faceName: BitStream Vera Sans Mono
    XTerm*faceSize: 10

You can test the values beforehand by supply them on the command line,
e.g.,

    xterm -fa 'Bitstream Vera Sans Mono' -fs 10 &

See the xterm man page for further details.

--

Liam