Font Smoothing in Xterm

Hey guys,

Been happily using debian etch for over a month now!

What an amazing system this is.

Anyways, font smoothing has been working quite well on this laptop screen except
for xterm. I finally figured out how to change the font in xterm to bitstream
vera sans mono but the fonts in xterm look jagged and terrible in this screen.

Any suggestions on how to work around this. I tried several methods including
dpkg-reconfigure -plow fontconfig-config but to no avail.

I know I could use the GNOME terminal or Konsole but they are not as quick as
xterm. Any other alternatives that you guys suggest?

Thanks,
Amit