Re: Samba + external drives

Ron Johnson wrote:

On 08/14/07 14:40, koffiejunkie wrote:
Hi guys,

I have a strange problem.   I use an external IDE/Firewire enclosure on
my notebook.  This works 100%, is solid as a rock and performs very very
well.  It works with USB2 too, reliably, just slower.

I have a Mac Mini at home, so I have some samba shares on the external
drive.  The Mac can acess them fine (OS X 10.4), but when I copy large a
 file from the Mac to one of the shares on the external drive, it copies
a bit and then fails saying something to the effect that the share is
not accessible.   Looking back at the notebook, syslog gives me the kind
of errors you get when unplugging a disc without unmounting it.   So my
first thought was that either the disc or the enclosure was going bad.

So I ran an fsck on the disc, which came out fine.  Copying huge files
to it directly from the notebook works fine as well.  So it seems to be
fine.

Then I remembered I had a similar problem at a client copying from
Windows to a samba server on an external (USB2) drive.  Different
machines, different drives, different distro (SUSE 9.2 or 10.0 at the
time).   I have since tried various distros on my notebook (extra
partition), and I always get the same result, so it seems to be a
persisten samba issue.

Has anyone else seen this?

But samba works well when transferring from OSX to an internal drive?
Yes, but gives problems to an external.

What does Google say?
Various samba config options - none that makes any difference - and not much else. I've googled this now and then for the last two two years and haven't found a fix yet.

What kernel are you running?  Debian or home-rolled?
At the moment 2.6.21 recompiled from Debian's sources (on Lenny) to exclude paravirtualization and include HPET RTC emulation, but otherwise identical. But like I said, I've seen the same issue on various distros, and I see it with the stock Debian kernels too - doesn't seem to be a specific kernel issue.

A syslog extract would be helpful.

My apologies, I was at work when I sent the mail - keep forgetting to do it at home. I copied a DVD ISO, and this is the error I get when it dies (on OSX):

"The operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for some of the items"

Which makes no sense at all since I'm only copying one file, I managed to copy 2.3GB of it (if it was 2.0GB I would have suspected the old FAT32 compatibility stuff, but clearly it's not).

/var/log/syslog:
Aug 14 22:57:40 theluggage kernel: ieee1394: sbp2: aborting sbp2 command
Aug 14 22:57:40 theluggage kernel: sd 0:0:0:0:
Aug 14 22:57:40 theluggage kernel: command: Write(10): 2a 00 07 96 05 47 00 00 f8 00
Aug 14 22:57:50 theluggage kernel: ieee1394: sbp2: aborting sbp2 command
Aug 14 22:57:50 theluggage kernel: sd 0:0:0:0:
Aug 14 22:57:50 theluggage kernel: command: Test Unit Ready: 00 00 00 00 00 00
Aug 14 22:57:50 theluggage kernel: ieee1394: sbp2: reset requested
Aug 14 22:57:50 theluggage kernel: ieee1394: sbp2: generating sbp2 fetch agent reset
Aug 14 22:58:00 theluggage kernel: ieee1394: sbp2: aborting sbp2 command
Aug 14 22:58:00 theluggage kernel: sd 0:0:0:0:
Aug 14 22:58:00 theluggage kernel: command: Test Unit Ready: 00 00 I/O to offline device Aug 14 22:58:00 theluggage kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to offline device
Aug 14 22:58:00 theluggage last message repeated 83 times

/var/log/samba/log.10.0.1.2:
[2007/08/14 22:49:02, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(1033)
twoflower (10.0.1.2) connect to service EXT320 initially as user hansdp (uid=1000, gid=1000) (pid 24132)

After this, the drive is no longer available, and I have to unplug it, powercycle it, and plug it back in.

Copying the same file to the notebook's internal drive via samba works fine, and then copying the file from the notebook's drive to the external drive (i.e. no samba) works fine.

Any ideas?