Re: bash vs. python scripts - which one is better?

On 2007-08-13 14:40:57 -0700, David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Aug 13, 2007, at 11:31 AM, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
>> There's a big difference: GCC is useless for the end user. And
>> I don't think that old GCC versions are really necessary.
>
> They are if you need to compile old software. Some stuff just won't
> build with newer GCC versions.

But
1. Such software is not from Debian.
2. Such software probably uses non-standard features, in which case
   this is not GCC's fault or the fault of the C language. FYI, GCC 4
   still supports K&R (pre-standard) C constructs (-traditional and
   -traditional-cpp options) and trigraphs (-trigraphs option).
3. You do not need GCC at run time: you can install old GCC versions
   on some machine compile old software there, and use it on other
   machines, even those that don't have enough disk space for GCC.

> Also, your end users are clearly different than mine.  My users compile
> stuff pretty frequently, often crusty old software used by some research
> project or other.

I also compile things frequently, even not recent software, but I have
never had any problem with GCC 4.x (except bugs, of course, but they
end up in being fixed, and every software has bugs anyway).