Re: bash vs. python scripts - which one is better?

On 2007-08-11 00:44:17 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:

> > Yes, because you get:
>
> >   echo '' `ls -l`'
>
>     I get?  *I* get?  Pst, look up above.  *YOU* decided say "Imagine a
> filename contains: ' `some command`  Quoted right there.

I said "contains", not "is". You should get a dictionary.

> > which is not valid. Try with:
>
>     So now you're modifying what you wrote, tsk, tsk.

No, I've given a filename that *contains* ' `some command`.

> >>     Which is why I strayed away from Perl into Python land.
>
> > This is a very subjective argument. One *can* write readable Perl
> > scripts. Also remember TIMTOWTDI.
>
>     One can, yes. And I remember TIMTOWTDI which is the antithesis
> of writing readable code.

No, it's up to the programmer to write readable code.

> I was hip deep in Perl code for several years. I found that the only
> way to write readable Perl was to throw half of the language out and
> stick to a strict subset of the language so as to be consistent.

A part of the language is a bit obsolete. Some features are deprecated
(but can be useful for some one-liners). Unlike Python, nothing is
removed from Perl, so that old Perl scripts can still run and there
is no need for N versions on the disk.