Re: No luck reconfiguring resolution options.

On Aug 12, 10:50 pm, Kent West <we...@acu.edu> wrote:
[snip example from xorg.conf]

For each depth listed under Section "Screen", my xorg.conf contains
the line:
Modes		"1440x900" "1400x1050" "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1280x854"
"1280x800" "1280x768" "1200x800" "1152x864" "1152x768"
after I removed "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480" from each line and
saved the file. However, the only resolutions I can set it to are
those three, which are absent from the list. I've done dpkg-
reconfigure xserver-xorg and modified xorg.conf plenty of times now,
each time explicitly attempting to prevent any resolution below
1152x768 from even being an option, but every time I come back to
1024x768.

> The most common/likely choices for your video driver will be ati, nv,
> nvidia (I believe; this is the proprietary, closed-source "equivalent"
> (though usually necessary for some functions) of the Free equivalent of
> the nv driver for NVidia cards, and svga, although there are lots of
> other possibilities.
>
> The svga is usually the best available lowest common denominator driver,
> and usually "just works" for at least a usable setup.

I'm using the driver "i810" - an Intel driver for the Intel chip
driving the graphics in my (*sigh*) Dell laptop. I tried replacing it
with svga and vga in xorg.conf and restarting gdm, but both times X
failed to start, so I'm back on "i810" and still unclear about why I
can't use a resolution higher than 1024x768, especially since I used
higher when this computer was running WinXP.

> Playing with the HorizSync and VertRefresh will often get you better
> resolution, but be careful; overdriving your monitor can fry it,
> although most modern monitors have built-in protection nowadays against
> that sort of thing.
>
> Also playing with your DefaultDepth can give you some better options.
>
> And if your video memory is shared with the main system, you can
> sometimes go into the computer's BIOS and up the shared video memory
> (called many different things and located in many different places
> depending on the BIOS, and sometimes not available at all), which almost
> always helps (the more video RAM, the better, in many cases).
>
> There are lots of other settings that can affect your setup, but this
> little bit should get you closer to what you're after. You might also
> look in "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for clues as to what's happening under the
> hood.
>
> btw, you don't need to reboot after making these settings; you merely
> need to restart X (and by implication, any graphical login managers).
> You can do this with Ctrl-Alt-F2, logging in as a root-capable user, and
> running "/etc/init.d/[gkwx]dm restart" (depending on which login manager
> you're using; probably "gdm" in your case).

Thanks for this tip.

> Hope this doesn't seem too confusing.

The tips you've offered all make sense. I'm still a little...shall we
say green? but I'm getting a feel for how things are done, and more
importantly for how to look for things when I'm confused. There are
some snobbish elitists about,  but so far the Linux community has been
very helpful and patient with my rookie-ness.

I'll keep playing around, but this far no luck.

Thanks
-Andrew