Re: Installing Sarge problem

Sending message back to list:

On Monday 13 August 2007 16:23:55 you wrote:
> From: Joe Hart <j.hart@orange.nl>
>
> > On Monday 13 August 2007 13:44:52 Bob Middaugh wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I'm installing Sarge, installation completes, reboot, set timezone,
> > > root pwd, Apt config pick http and debian.lcs.mit.edu.
> > >
> > > After that, I get the ominious message about overwriting the kernel I'm
> > > currently running and how this can be potentially disasterous.
> > >
> > > I'm prompted y or n, do I want to remove the running kernel image?
> > >
> > > What can I do here to get past this.  At this point, I don't care what
> > > kernel version I'm running.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Bob
> >
> > I question why you're installing Sarge in the first place... Etch is the
> > current stable version of Debian.
>
> because it has packages for opennms.

Sounds like that might be a valid reason.  Don't know because that package
isn't in Sid, and that's what I run.

> > That being said, no it is a not a good idea to remove the running kernel.
>
> yeah, I figured as much.
>
> > Install a new one, boot into it, and when you're sure it's working ok,
> > then if you wish, remove the old one.
>
> This is my question.  During the install it wants to remove 2.4.  I don't
> have the option to pick a different one...that I know of.  Hence, my
> question above.  Is there a way to tell it not to worry about what kernel
> version I'm running during an install?  I really don't care if it's 2.4 or
> 2.6.

IIRC, Sarge will install either a 2.4 or a 2.6 kernel, but I only installed
Sarge once, and that was a couple of years ago.  I am sure others on this
list have more experience with Sarge than I do.

> > Personally, I always have two kernels available to boot in, just in case.
> >  But then again, my kernels change quickly and frequently the new one is
> > not better than the old one.
>
> I understand these kinds of things in FreeBSD, but I have absolutely no
> experience with Debian or really linux in general.

At least you're not so unfamiliar with the command line, and many of the
commands are the same.  :)

> Thanks,
> Bob

Joe