Re: newbie here - system administration question

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 21:02:37 +0200
Per olof Ljungmark <peo@intersonic.se> wrote:

> Hi debianites,
>
> I am a complete beginner with Debian and need a little help to get
> going. Specifically, I wonder how you configure the system (not
> installed software), things like the network, users, logging etc.
>
> Coming from BSD where a lot of things are in .conf files under /etc I
> have a problem understanding where Linux puts stuff.

Hi and welcome,

I think you should know that it is more complex that that. You need to
be aware that different Linux distros place "stuff" as you call it in
different places.

Perhaps someone else on the list knows a website that lists the
differences?

Although I can't be more specific as I am a permanent newbie myself, I
thought if you were made aware of this fact you would bear it in mind
when you find online help referring to say RedHat, which has slight
differences to the Debian file structure.

HTH

del