Re: Can't install zlib1g-dev on etch?

On 08/11/2007 01:46 PM, Eric Adum wrote:
What does your sources.list look like?

 # etch
deb http://debian.lcs.mit.edu/debian/ etch main contrib non-free
deb-src http://debian.lcs.mit.edu/debian/ etch main contrib non-free

# security updates
deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib

# unstable
deb http://debian.lcs.mit.edu/debian/ unstable non-free
deb-src http://debian.lcs.mit.edu/debian/ unstable non-free

And I also have the following /etc/apt/preferences file:

Package: *
Pin: release a=etch
Pin-Priority: 900
Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 800

I normally like to use stable, and only get packages from unstable if that
is the only way to get the features I require, using the "-t unstable" flag
when I apt-get install. Is this the best practice?

That's an acceptable way to do it.

Can you try this (as a simulation)?
apt-get -s install zlib1g=1:1.2.3-13 zlib1g-dev=1:1.2.3-13

I got some rather scary looking output from that; it appears that I'd have
to downgrade zlib1g to install the -dev package? Output:
[...]

What version of zlib1g is already installed?
What version of zlib1g-dev are you trying to install?
What is the exact command that you use to try to install zlib1g-dev?

Note that apt-get should want to try to install the version of zlib1g-dev that corresponds to the installed version of zlib1g.

Perhaps the output of these commands would be helpful too (although the information should be redundant):

apt-cache policy zlib1g zlib1g-dev
apt-cache showpkg zlib1g | head
apt-cache showpkg zlib1g-dev | head