Defoma: How2 install type 1 fonts?

Hi folks,

It's been some time now since I've used my old copy of
WordPerfect 8.0 Personal Edition for Linux. I usually use
the OpenOffice suite these days.

However, I've been looking to install more fonts for
OpenOffice and make them accessible to other programs like
Gimp and Inkscape through X and defoma. I recalled that my
WordPerfect disk had a fine selection of fonts (130).
They're quite accessible on disk but I'm not sure how to
install them. (Basically they are .afm and .pfb files for
Type 1 fonts.)

I'm sure there must be a way to install and access these
fonts on a current linux distro. But I sure can't find it.
Everything I google relates to the 8.1 version.

Can anyone help me out here? Basically what I think I need
to know is how to tell defoma about the fonts so that it
recognizes them.

What do I need to do to find peace and happiness and
achieve enlightment?

        tia,

        b.