Reboot loses LAN connection

Strange behaviour on my laptop. Not sure if it's hardware or OS. Running
unstable and apart from a couple of problems (solved) all has been well
until about 4 days ago. Since then if I reboot or shutdown  and do not
disconnect the power, either by switching off at the mains or physically
disconnecting the plug, the laptop loses it's LAN connection.

This laptop is used 95% of the time at home plugged into a DLink router.
When I moved in here I cabled up the whole place so I could easily
locate workstations, laptops etc where I wanted. I've tried different
cables, different ports on the router but no difference.

My thought is that the laptop MOBO is failing but if anyone can tell me
different I would be happy to hear as I can't afford to replace it.

Regards, John
--
War is God's way of teaching Americans geography
Ambrose Bierce (1842 - 1914)