Re: usb and debian 4.0 os ...can i get some pointers???please???

On Sat, Aug 11, 2007 at 09:07:07 -0400, Michael Habashy wrote:

[...]

> I did a modprobe on usb-serial and ftdi_sio and they both load great.

What gave you the idea to modprobe ftdi_sio? Is that somewhere in the
kannel manual or was this module loaded automatically?

> ...after
> somehting like that ?

There is not always a message in the syslog about the new device node.
You just have to check if a new ttyS*, ttyUSB*, or something like that
has been created in /dev/. Also, we still don't know for sure if your
mobile phone has to appear as a tty device for kannel, we are just
guessing based of that one line in the example configuration.

>  The strange thing is that i have a bluetooth dongle --that is in one of th
> usb ports..and that works ..b/c i am able to hook it up to my phone.
> I am further able to connect to it with rfcomm.  It looks like i can take
> the modem off the hook..but I am at a dead end there..because i can not
> reference the device in Kannel.

I now had a look at the kannel website. I cannot make heads or tails of
their "documentation". I have no idea if their software can work via
rfcomm (or OBEX, or whatever).

> my dmesg looks like this:
>
>  drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for
> FTDI USBSerial Device
> usbcore: registered new driver ftdi_sio
> drivers/usb/serial/ftdi_sio.c: v1.4.3:USB FTDI Serial Converters Driver
>
> and my lsusb looks like this:
> Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0bb4:0bce High Tech Computer Corp.
> Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth
> Dongle (HCI mode)
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0d49:5020 Maxtor
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

The device ID 0bce does not seem to be in USB IDs database. I just
updated it with the "update-usbids" command. Here is what I find in my
/var/lib/usbutils/usb.ids:

0bb4  High Tech Computer Corp.
        00ce  mmO2 XDA GSM/GPRS Pocket PC
        00cf  SPV C500 Smart Phone
        0a02  Himalaya GSM/GPRS Pocket PC
        0a51  SPV C400 / T-Mobile SDA GSM/GPRS Pocket PC

I found this in the kernel sources in drivers/usb/serial/ipaq.c:

{ USB_DEVICE(0x0BB4, 0x00CE) }, /* HTC USB Sync */
{ USB_DEVICE(0x0BB4, 0x00CF) }, /* HTC USB Modem */
{ USB_DEVICE(0x0BB4, 0x0A02) }, /* PocketPC USB Sync */
{ USB_DEVICE(0x0BB4, 0x0A51) }, /* SmartPhone USB Sync */

This ipaq module seems to support PDAs and SmartPhones based on Windows
CE 3.0 or PocketPC 2002 operating systems. The good news is that I also
see this mentioned:

{ USB_DEVICE(0x0BB4, 0x0BCE) }, /* "High Tech Computer Corp" */

Maybe you get lucky with "modprobe ipaq". I have kernel 2.6.22 with
version 0.5 of the ipaq module. You can see your available version with
"modinfo ipaq".

Generally speaking, the vendor ID (0bb4) and the device ID (0bce) can be
helpful for google searches since they are often the quickest way to
find linux-related pages for your device.

> and my lsmod looks like this:
>
> usbserial              39152  1 ftdi_sio
> hci_usb                22812  2
> bluetooth              61572  7 rfcomm,l2cap,hci_usb
> usb_storage            87616  1
> scsi_mod              153008  3 sd_mod,libata,usb_storage
> ide_core              147584  5
> ide_generic,ide_cd,usb_storage,generic,amd74xx

[...]

> where would it tell me that the phone is this this ttty* device???

If you see a likely candidate in /dev/ you can run

udevinfo -a -n /dev/whatever

to see if this note is related to your device. If all else fails you can
do a brute-force search: Run

find /dev/ | sort > before.txt

before you plug in the phone. Then plug it in, turn it on, modprobe all
the modules and wait a few seconds. After that, run:

find /dev/ | sort > after.txt

This command will then show you all the device nodes that are new in
after.txt:

comm -3 before.txt after.txt

          Florian   |