Re: usb and debian 4.0 os ...can i get some pointers???please???

On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 13:49:41 -0400, Michael Habashy wrote:
> Nobody gets these devices appearing in their /dev directory???

I think that everybody who has a USB controller/hub and who uses udev
has these "USB endpoint" device nodes. Their number increases with every
new device that you plug into your USB ports.

> usbdev1.1_ep00  usbdev1.2_ep02  usbdev1.2_ep82  usbdev1.4_ep03

[ snip: and more of them ]

> Does anyone know what to do with them???

AFAIK, you normally do not have much contact with them as a normal user.
You can find out to which device they belong by using udevinfo like
this:

udevinfo -a -n /dev/usbdev1.1_ep00

The "useful" device node is normally somewhere else, based on the type
of the device and its function: /dev/bus/usb/ is sort of a generic
place; an external SATA hard drive will be /dev/sb? (as Marko has
already pointed out) and have symlinks in /dev/disk/; a USB mouse will
have its node(s) in /dev/input/; ...

Now, coming back to your problem: Since your example configuration file
mentions /dev/ttyS0 it would seem that kannel wants to talk to the phone
like to a serial modem. Therefore you will probably have to use
something like /dev/ttyUSB0 for a USB-connected mobile. If you cannot
find such a device node after plugging in the phone then it may be
necessary to do "modprobe usb_serial" as root. If that does not help
then you might have to load an additional kernel module specific to your
type of cell phone. (Please note that I have never used kannel,
therefore I can only offer speculation based on what I know about USB
devices and udev in general.)

          Florian   |