Re: usb and debian 4.0 os ...can i get some pointers???please???

On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 21:34:08 -0400, Michael Habashy wrote:
> On 8/10/07, Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

> > Now, coming back to your problem: Since your example configuration file
> > mentions /dev/ttyS0 it would seem that kannel wants to talk to the phone
> > like to a serial modem. Therefore you will probably have to use
> > something like /dev/ttyUSB0 for a USB-connected mobile. If you cannot
> > find such a device node after plugging in the phone then it may be
> > necessary to do "modprobe usb_serial" as root. If that does not help
> > then you might have to load an additional kernel module specific to your
> > type of cell phone. (Please note that I have never used kannel,
> > therefore I can only offer speculation based on what I know about USB
> > devices and udev in general.)
>
> Thanks for the great reply. I think you put me closer ---but I am not really
> there yet.  To recap:
> 1. the usbdev1.1_ep00 are basically useless.

I am sure that they serve a purpose in the system, but I think the
normal user does not have to interact directly with them.

> 2. I have to load something else in order to get a usefull /dev/tty*  to
> refer to.

If the kernel recognizes a new device then the proper module(s) will be
loaded (if they are available) and udev will create the necessary device
nodes in /dev/. For fully supported devices this should all happen
automatically. If a device is not well supported then it can be very
difficult, or even impossible, to get it to work.

> Do you know what that driver or module that I need to load for Cingular 8125
> ?

Unfortunately not. I just grepped for "cingular" in my kernel source
directory and I did not get any hits. We would probably have to know
what the relevant chipset or interface standard is called, but I have no
clue about mobile phones (I don't own one), so I do not even know where
to begin here.

> I have loaded usbserial...but nothing happened...or at least i do not know
> if anything happened..nothing was referenced that was usefull.  Do you know
> where I can check?

I am not sure if this was already covered earlier in this thread: Plug
the phone into the USB port, switch the phone on, wait for a few seconds
and then run "lsusb" and "lsusb -t". Post the output of these two
commands and we will know more. (An important indicator is whether your
system recognizes the vendor and product ID number of the device.)

> Does anyone know a Cellphone from ATT that can work with debian...so I can
> use it with a sms text messeging program ???
>
> I guess the phone would have to have a usb cable...Does anyone know of one
> please????????????please???????
>

> thanks
> mjh

          Florian   |