Re: Problems with beryl after dist-upgrade

On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 20:51:54 -0700, Sam wrote:
> Hi all,
> Just did a dist-upgrade. Upon reboot I get the usual login screen, but when
> I log in things start up and then immediately crash back to the login
> screen.
>
> Here is my xorg.conf file that worked before upgrade

[...]

> Section "Module"
>     Load           "glx"
>     Load           "dbe"
> EndSection

[...]

> Section "Monitor"
>     Identifier     "EN9410e"
>     Option         "DPMS"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier     "nVidia Corporation G71 [GeForce 7300 GS]"
>     Driver         "nvidia"
> Option "RenderAccel" "true"
> Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>     Identifier     "Default Screen"
>     Device         "nVidia Corporation G71 [GeForce 7300 GS]"
>     Monitor        "EN9410e"
>     DefaultDepth    24
>     SubSection     "Display"
>         Depth       24
>         Modes      "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768" "832x624" "800x600"
> "720x400"
>  "640x480"
>     EndSubSection
> Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Extensions"
> Option "Composite" "Enable"
> EndSection
>
> I had to chop of the last section "extentions" in order to get beryl to
> finally crash back to metacity so I could get a Desktop environment. Any
> Idea whats going wrong with this?

Put the section back in, restart [xkg]dm, log in and let it crash. Then
switch to a terminal (press CTRL + ALT + F1), log in and run the
following command:

egrep '^\((EE|WW)\)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Post the output here; we need to see the error messages and warnings in
the Xorg log to figure out what is going on.

You can append "> file.txt" (without the quotes) to the above command to
redirect the output into a file, if that makes it easier for you to read
this data into your email program.

Also tell us which branch of Debian you are using (Etch, Lenny, or Sid)
and how you installed the nvidia driver (Debian packages or nvidia
installer script).

          Florian   |