Re: Filesystem corruption on md (Software) RAID

michael@estone.ca wrote:
> Defintely sounds like hardware is failing.
> You could try installing smartmontools onto your system and use it
> to scan your drives. It might tell you if you have some bad sectors, or
> some other failing component.

The hardware is fine - I checked the SMART status, did a full read/write
test with badblocks on md0, and in fact the very same hardware and RAID
setup worked fine for the past year, using a 2.4 kernel, with high
filesystem load every day.

It's just when I put a filesystem on top of an md device that things
break - my assumption is that there is a race in the kernel involving
sata_sx4 and the md modules. Given that the Promise SX4 is not really a
shining piece of hardware, and not that popular, I wouldn't be surprised
if the driver is a bit flaky too.

Anyway, we've decided to replace it with a real RAID controller, that
should sort things out.