Re: newbie here - system administration question

Per olof Ljungmark(peo@intersonic.se) is reported to have said:
> Wayne Topa wrote:
> >Per olof Ljungmark(peo@intersonic.se) is reported to have said:
> >>Hi debianites,

<--<snip>-->
> >>This is Linux debian 2.6.18-4-686 #1 SMP, command line only (server
> >>enviroment).
> >
> >Rather then try to give you things to do, and as you are a beginner,
> >install the debian-reference package.  Most, if not all, of your
> >questions are answered there.
> >
> >apr-cache search debian-reference(pick your language)
>
> Sounds like a good idea, I'll probably figure out what/where apr-cache
> is as well... I'm not demanding answers that tells me exactly how to do
> things but I'm also interested how you, already Debian users, do it.
> Jeff D pointing me to the Wiki was helpful also, I had not managed to
> get there yet.

It would have been better if I had not had a type there.  :-(

apt-cache is yet another package that will assist you in finding
packages you might want to install. For instance

apt-cache show debian-reference
 This Debian Reference (http://qref.sourceforge.net/) covers many
 aspects of system administration through shell-command examples.  Basic
 tutorials, tips, and other information are provided for topics
 including fundamental concepts of the Debian system, system installation
 hints, Debian package management, the Linux kernel under Debian, system
 tuning, building a gateway, text editors, CVS, programming, and GnuPG
 for non-developers.  For help with emergency system maintenance,
 proceed to Section 6.3, `Debian survival commands', immediately.  The
 latest official version is http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/
 and the latest development version is
 http://qref.sourceforge.net/quick/.  The project is hosted at
 http://qref.sourceforge.net/.

> As always, it takes a while to get used to a new enviroment.
Yes it does, but once you get the hang of it you will be not be sorry.

> bash: apr-cache: command not found
The typo again.  To see if you have apt-cache installed do
dpkg -l apt-cache   (This IS spelled correctly)  :-)

You install packages using either aptitude or apt-get.

For information on how to use a program do
man program-name

so to see how to use apt-cache
man apt-cache

Read the debian-reference.  Many things will become clear.

Being subscribed to this list was a good step upwards in your learning
curve. Keep it up and read, read, read.  We are here to help.

Welcome to the Debian Community.

Wayne

--
It works! Now if only I could remember what I did...