Re: newbie here - system administration question

Per olof Ljungmark(peo@intersonic.se) is reported to have said:
> Hi debianites,
>
> I am a complete beginner with Debian and need a little help to get
> going. Specifically, I wonder how you configure the system (not
> installed software), things like the network, users, logging etc.
>
> Coming from BSD where a lot of things are in .conf files under /etc I
> have a problem understanding where Linux puts stuff.
>
> For instance: When I installed the system the installer choose DHCP
> configuration without asking - I need a fixed IP. Looking in /etc, I see
> /etc/network/iface, is it here I fix that? Or is there some central
> utility that writes out conf files? What is the syntax for this file?
> man iface
> man network
> gives me nothing.
>
> This is Linux debian 2.6.18-4-686 #1 SMP, command line only (server
> enviroment).

Rather then try to give you things to do, and as you are a beginner,
install the debian-reference package.  Most, if not all, of your
questions are answered there.

apr-cache search debian-reference(pick your language)

Wayne

--
Crashing is the only thing windows does quickly.