gnome in testing

Right now when I run 'apt-get -s upgrade' there are 172 programs in the
'not-upgraded' response. If I try to upgrade any one of them a bunch of
gnome programs are also upgrade but also apt-get wants to REMOVE
gnome-desktop-environment and gnome-themes among a few others.

Even upgrading vim wants to remove gnome-desktop-environment, I suppose
because gvim would be also be upgraded.

This really doesn't make any sense to me. What is going on with gnome?

--
"Must the citizen ever for a moment, or in the least degree, resign his
 conscience to the legislator?  Why has every man a conscience, then?