Booting CD with grub, no menu

Hi,

I put stage2_eltorito and menu.list in boot/grub, and build the boot
CD with

     $ mkisofs -R -b boot/grub/stage2_eltorito -no-emul-boot \
         -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -o grub.iso iso

The CD boots ok, but there is no menu. It drops down to plain grub shell.

However, if I specify (within the booted grub shell)

  configuration /boot/grub/menu.lst

the menu loaded fine, and every entry boots fine as well.

So it seems to me that everything works fine, just grub itself can't
use the default menu at the default location. Is it a bug of current
grub [1], Or, have I missed something?

Plz help.

thanks

[1]