Re: Defoma: How2 install type 1 fonts?

On 08/08/2007 06:00 PM, Bill wrote:
Hi folks,
It's been some time now since I've used my old copy of WordPerfect 8.0 Personal Edition for Linux. I usually use the OpenOffice suite these days. However, I've been looking to install more fonts for OpenOffice and make them accessible to other programs like Gimp and Inkscape through X and defoma. I recalled that my WordPerfect disk had a fine selection of fonts (130). They're quite accessible on disk but I'm not sure how to install them. (Basically they are .afm and .pfb files for Type 1 fonts.) I'm sure there must be a way to install and access these fonts on a current linux distro. But I sure can't find it. Everything I google relates to the 8.1 version. Can anyone help me out here? Basically what I think I need to know is how to tell defoma about the fonts so that it recognizes them. What do I need to do to find peace and happiness and achieve enlightment? tia,
        b.

Install doc-linux-text and read /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/Font-HOWTO.gz.

I think you would place the fonts into /usr/local/share/fonts/Type1/ .
Then go into that directory and do "mkfontscale . ; mkfontdir ."; after that, add the font directory to /etc/X11/Xorg.conf.

That makes the fonts available to X. Fontconfig is another way of dealing with fonts that I'm not too clear on, but I'm sure someone else will explain it.