Re: Canon Powershot A640 (update)

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 06:46:00PM +0100, andy wrote:
Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 06:20:51PM +0100, andy wrote:

... Andy is having trouble with his camera...
please provide the output of tail -f /var/log/syslog

while you plug in the camera
This is the result:

Aug 8 18:41:34 valhalla kernel: usb 2-2.2: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 10 Aug 8 18:41:34 valhalla kernel: usb 2-2.2: not running at top speed; connect to a high speed hub Aug 8 18:41:34 valhalla kernel: usb 2-2.2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
Aug  8 18:43:10 valhalla kernel: usb 2-2.2: USB disconnect, address 10
Aug 8 18:43:57 valhalla kernel: usb 2-2.2: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 11 Aug 8 18:43:57 valhalla kernel: usb 2-2.2: not running at top speed; connect to a high speed hub Aug 8 18:43:57 valhalla kernel: usb 2-2.2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
Aug  8 18:44:13 valhalla kernel: usb 2-2.2: USB disconnect, address 11
Aug 8 18:44:27 valhalla kernel: usb 2-2.3: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 12 Aug 8 18:44:27 valhalla kernel: usb 2-2.3: not running at top speed; connect to a high speed hub Aug 8 18:44:27 valhalla kernel: usb 2-2.3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

and that's it? the device isn't resolving properly. Try a different
USB port.
Since you are in a time crunch, can I recommend that you just buy an
inexpensive card reader and use that in the interim? YOu could spend a
significant amount of time trying to resolve this when you should be
packing!

A (the other one)

I'll just leave that there and we can recycle as needed.
I have tried the camera on my wife's Etch machine and first time out, the camera auto-mounted and I could access the photos!! She runs KDE. So I logged out of Gnome and back into KDE on my Lenny machine and again the camera (sort of) auto-mounted, but this time I got an error message that informed me it didn't recognise the camera type. On my wife's machine, the camera type was recognised immediately. I also tried Xfce4 but zippo happened there, not even the dialog box!!

On her machine, she does not have gphoto2 installed, nor was she set up as a member of any camera group. She is also running an earlier kernel (2.6.18, I think). So I rebooted and booted into 2.6.18 and all of the above still applied.

So, the good news is - the camera is obviously not the problem but the bad news is, is that it is something with my machine. But what that is, I really don't know. I have switched the USB to a different port, still no dice.

Any further thoughts on this, given the foregoing additional info?

Cheers all