Re: font problem - please help!

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 07:27:50 +0200, Jonathan Kaye wrote:
> Zach wrote:
>
> > I'm having a font problem, can someone take a look at my paste:
> > http://pastebin.ca/649456
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Zach
> Hi Zach,
> I had a look at your xorg.conf file that you pasted up and I'm not surprised
> you're having font problems. There's nothing in the fonts section of your
> config file. You have:
> Section "Files"
> EndSection
>
> I have (xorg version 7.2-5):
> Section "Files"
>
> # The location of the RGB database.  Note, this is the name of the
> # file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").  There is normally
> # no need to change the default.
>

> # if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
>
>     FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
>     FontPath    "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
>     FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
>     FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
>     FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
>     FontPath    "/usr/local/share/fonts"
> EndSection
>
> I'd say you're definitely missing something.

Version 7.2 of Xorg includes the default font paths automatically now,
so most of these lines are not needed anymore in the "Files" section of
xorg.conf:

(WW) Including the default font path
     /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,
     /usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic,
     /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled,
     /usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled,
     /usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1,
     /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi,
     /usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi,
     /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType.

(This is from my /var/log/Xorg.0.log; I reformatted the long line to
 make it more easily readable.)

Zach, since you have problems with the sizes of both fonts and entire
windows I suspect that your Xorg is currently working with a wrong
resolution setting, maybe due to a graphics driver update. (It could
also be that the resolution setting was wrong earlier and you set your
application font preferences and default window sizes for this wrong
configuration...)

I think the best approach is to put the real physical dimensions of your
screen into the "Monitor" section of your xorg.conf:

DisplaySize width height

(Width and height are given as dimensionless numbers and are understood
 to be in millimeters; see "man xorg.conf" for details.)

Then you can restart X and check if the settings are correct now:

$ egrep 'physical|dimensions|DPI' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(**) intel(0): Display dimensions: (340, 270) mm
(**) intel(0): DPI set to (95, 120)
(II) intel(0): Setting screen physical size to 338 x 270

The DPI (dots per inch) values should correspond to the number of pixels
in horizontal (vertical) direction divided by the width (height) of the
display. (Give-or-take 1-2 millimeters is fine; 1 inch = 25.4 mm.) The
first DPI value (horizontal) is more critical for the font rendering
than the second one.

Another thing to check is the Xft.dpi setting in the X resource
database:

$ xrdb -query | grep Xft
Xft.antialias:  1
Xft.dpi:        96
Xft.hinting:    1
Xft.hintstyle:  hintfull
Xft.rgba:       none

You can change the setting like this:

echo "Xft.dpi: 96" | xrdb -m

You have to restart running programs to see the effect. If you find a
setting that you like you can put it into your ~/.Xresources file to
make it permanent.

          Florian   |