strange keyboard behaviour

Hello,

On my Asus L3400Tp I recently installed Etch in favor of Fedora 7, but
there seem to be some issues that did not appear in Fedora Core 6.

For instance:
If in 'Desktop|Preferences|Keyboard\Layout Options' I add the eurosign,
set the third level chooser, some keys start failing to work, unless I
press them very repeatedly. Like the Backspace, _, +, y, 3, f. But when
I 'unset' the choices I made for the eurosign etc., this problem is
(almost) gone. Only occasionally is it required to repeatedly press
those keys to get Etch to realise the particular key is being pressed.
How can I for instance add the eurosign to a key without getting this
problem?

Also, although I chose the 'us keyboard' layout, type-over doesn't want
to work (as it did in Fedora). I'd really like to use the feature that
typing 'e gives an 'accented e' and so on. How can I get there?

Also there is the power saving issue that Hibernate and Suspend don't
want to work (as it did in Fedora, so the problem is not with the laptop
and/or its BIOS), but I posted that already on the debian-laptop list.

Thanks for your time,
Sjaki