Re: set up Debian etch support English and Chinese

rocky wrote:
Hey,

I installed Debian and select Chinese as the language. The
installation is for Debian sarge therefore I aptitude dist-upgrade the
box to debian etch by first upgrade the kernel to 2.6. I want to
debian system support Chinese show and input.  In the /etc/locale.gen
I have zh_CN GB2312. After log in, the error and system prompt for
aptitude are becoming unreadable. Can any of you tell me how can I get
the system support chinese input and set the root user using English
and other normal users using Chinese for application (like mutt) menus
please? I'm not using X-window-server.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Blessings,
Rocky

It is estimated behavior, since standard command-line environment is not supposed to support non-latin characters out-of-the-box. You may try package "zhcon" which will provide a Chinese environment.

And, it is recommended to use UTF-8 environment for better multi-lingual compatible environment, which is default since etch, and zhcon-0.2.5 or later supports utf8 by parameter --utf8.