Re: Issues with ethernet in testing/lenny

Florian Kulzer wrote:
>Most probably the driver is simply too old. Even the 2.6.22 kernel
>currently in Sid only has version 7.3.20-k2 of the e1000 module. You
>will likely have to compile version 7.6.5, which is available on Intel's
>website:

>http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?strState=LIVE&ProductID=983&DwnldID=9180&lang=eng

>The first thing that you need is the linux-headers package for your
>currently running kernel. Then you can try to follow the instructions
>given by Intel (and tell us if things don't work out).

Thanks, I've compiled and installed the new driver and it
now detects my router. However, whatever else is automatically
done from the installation CD is not setup (I'm pretty sure the
issue right now is something to do with host name detection or
something like that...) I can ping to my router, but I can't ping
to "google.com" yet.

I forgot which file (or even what this is called in general). Anyone
remember the filename I'm supposed to edit?

Oh, and if there is a list of things that debian installer does
for the network... that would be nice. Or really, what any installation
program does to setup the installation.

--Percy