Re: DNS problem on local network

debian@reinketelaars.nl on 06/08/07 21:04, wrote:
My server isengard runs dnsmasq to provide the dhcp clients. However it
doesn't
recognise any internal network domain name:

isengard:~# hostname
isengard
isengard:~# hostname --fqdn
hostname: Unknown host
isengard:~# nslookup gondor
Server:         194.74.65.69
Address:        194.74.65.69#53

** server can't find gondor: NXDOMAIN

I worked out the domain name should go into /etc/resolv.conf (
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/NET3-4-HOWTO-5.html ) but then it seems that
this
is
under the control of something else.

The domain name should go into /etc/resolv.conf
You also have to assign the first nameserver to be _your_ nameserver and not
your ISP's.

# cat /etc/resolv.conf
search isengard.net
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver ...
nameserver ...

Something is rewriting my resolv.conf at least every minute. I suspected it must be dnsmasq attempting to do the DNS but I just stopped dnsmasq, and yet resolv.conf is still being updated. I had a look over my ps output but dont see anything that could be controlling resolv.conf.

This is the only entry in it:

nameserver 194.74.65.69

which is the British Telecom DNS.

Thanks