Re: How to add dir to path

Hi PK,

On 8/7/07, P Kapat <kap4lin@gmail.com> wrote:

> What's the reason I shouldn't touch /etc/profile but use
> ~/.bash_profile instead?

For the simple reason that you wouldn't want (or prefer) to mess with
the system's defaults unless otherwise forced to. Moreover, think of a
machine where you do not have root access, like one in your office or
department or somewhere else. You can still add your local dirs to the
PATH in ~/.bash_profile.

For more on bash startup see
/usr/share/doc/bash/examples/startup-files for examples.

I ain't got no /usr/share/doc/bash/examples dir.
There's also no /usr/local/share/doc dir.
Where do I get these examples?

Take some time out and go thru man bash, it is a nice document.

Well, actually I'm considering to work my way through the Advanced
Bash Scripting Guide. So I'll be back in a couple of months :-)

Thanks & greetings, Manon.