Re: How to add dir to path

On Aug 7, 2007, at 11:02 AM, Manon Metten wrote:

Hi Nyizsnyik,

On 8/7/07, Nyizsnyik Ferenc <nyizsa@bluebottle.com> wrote:

I would rather you checked your ~/.bash_profile file.

What's the reason I shouldn't touch /etc/profile but use
~/.bash_profile instead?

They do the same thing, but for different scopes.  /etc/profile affects every account on the system.  ~/.bash_profile only affects your own.

On a single-user machine the distinction is meaningless, but on a multi-user system it's important.  Software installed publicly for everyone goes in the PATH set in /etc/profile, software installed in an individual person's home directory goes in the PATH set in ~/.bash_profile.  It's good to get in the habit of thinking about these distinctions, because some day you might be administering a machine that's used by other people.

Generally unless you have a specific reason to put something there, you want to leave /etc/profile alone.