Re: ntfs mount errors

On Aug 3, 2007, at 9:37 PM, Andrei Popescu wrote:
I also read that if you mount
windows xp as vfat you can write to it.  Even more sceptical.

What do you mean by that? You can safely mount fat partitions for a long
time now.

Yup, been there, done that, it works fine. It has consequences for the XP side, though -- VFAT doesn't support alternate data streams or file permissions, so you lose some functionality. Those features are mostly only useful if you have multiple users on one machine, though.

Note that you have to install XP from the start on a FAT partition -- Microsoft has tools to let you convert FAT to NTFS, but there's no way to go back without reformatting.

A good alternative I've sometimes used is to create a second, FAT- formatted partition and use it for stuff I want to access from both operating systems.