Syntax error in bitops.h:244

Here's the story.

By the magic of aptitude, I installed a package that wanted udev, and
as a result got rid of hotplug by accident. So I removed this package
(can't remember what it was, nothing terribly important), reinstalled
hotplug and thought nothing of it.

A bit later, however, I noticed that my USB modem wasn't firmware-ing
properly when I plugged it in. So I assumed (rather uninformedly) that
after reinstalling hotplug, the eagle-usb thing hadn't registered with
it properly. Ha ha ha thinks I, I'll just reinstall the modem driver.
Bad move: I'd forgotten the hell it took to make it work in the first
place. Unfortunately I only remembered this *after* 'make uninstall'.
Next, various gcc version conflicts got in my way; managed to sort
them out reasonably OK-ly. Now I have 3.3.5 symlinked to /usr/bin/gcc,
same as the kernel. All fine. Eagle-usb now ./configures correctly.

But I get some weird stuff while makeing. FIrst few things (DSP codes)
compile fine, but it gets stuck on compiling eaglectrl. Error I get is
(not exactly since for obvious reasons I'm on windows now and can't
copy & paste between) syntax error in
/usr/include/asm-i486/bitops.h:244.

Any reason for this? I guess (again uninformedly...) some kind of
libc6 versioin problem? Or something? :S

Thanks. :-)

Adam Gray
"Life + self-doubt = peace"
        -- Jan Buttinger