Re: Syntax error in bitops.h:244

Adam Gray(adam@bandstand.org.uk) is reported to have said:
> Here's the story.
>
> By the magic of aptitude, I installed a package that wanted udev, and
> as a result got rid of hotplug by accident. So I removed this package
> (can't remember what it was, nothing terribly important), reinstalled
> hotplug and thought nothing of it.
>
> A bit later, however, I noticed that my USB modem wasn't firmware-ing
> properly when I plugged it in. So I assumed (rather uninformedly) that
> after reinstalling hotplug, the eagle-usb thing hadn't registered with
> it properly. Ha ha ha thinks I, I'll just reinstall the modem driver.
> Bad move: I'd forgotten the hell it took to make it work in the first
> place. Unfortunately I only remembered this *after* 'make uninstall'.
> Next, various gcc version conflicts got in my way; managed to sort
> them out reasonably OK-ly. Now I have 3.3.5 symlinked to /usr/bin/gcc,
> same as the kernel. All fine. Eagle-usb now ./configures correctly.
>
> But I get some weird stuff while makeing. FIrst few things (DSP codes)
> compile fine, but it gets stuck on compiling eaglectrl. Error I get is
> (not exactly since for obvious reasons I'm on windows now and can't
> copy & paste between) syntax error in
> /usr/include/asm-i486/bitops.h:244.
>
> Any reason for this? I guess (again uninformedly...) some kind of
> libc6 versioin problem? Or something? :S

ISTR that hotplug was removed, when udev was installed, because udev
now includes the hotplug feature.

Yep, I guess it does....

apt-cache show udev
udev is a daemon which dynamically creates and removes device nodes
from /dev/, handles hotplug events and loads drivers at boot time.

Might that be your  problem?

Wayne

--
There were computers in Biblical times. Eve had an Apple.