Re: Seeing files shared from an Apple computer

On Sat, 2007-08-04 at 20:02 -0400, Andrew J. Barr wrote:
> On 8/4/07, Ross Boylan <RossBoylan@stanfordalumni.org> wrote:
> > I enabled "Personal File Sharing" on an iMac on my LAN, but can't seem
> > to see the files from KDE.  I have a pretty full installation of KDE
> > (testing), including kdnssd, and I have avahi and friends installed (but
> > dbus is not enabled).
> >
> > avahi-browse does seem to show the service: it lists the name of the
> > workstation and "Apple File Sharing" (along with a number of other
> > services.
> >
> > Howeve, when I browse in Konqueror under KDE, the only sign of the other
> > computer is under "Network Services" | "shared desktops".  This tries to
> > launch a remote desktop (RDP) app when I click it, and the connection
> > then fails ("the connection to the host has been interrupted").
>
> You probably need AFP/AFS protocol support in your kernel,
There is
CONFIG_AFS_FS=m
in the kernel, but I think that's for the Andrew File System.  Also,
it's a module for the stock kernels, so I should already have access to
it.

There is also an
CONFIG_DEV_APPLETALK=m
option.  Again, it's enabled in the stock kernel.  Also, I think this
refers to using the Appletalk protocol, which Apple now deprecates in
favor of TCP/IP.

So I think my kernel is as set as it can be.
> and the
> associated user mode utilities. IIRC, there is a kioslave for that
> protocol, it may be in a separate package, however.
I though kdnssd, which I have installed, had the kioslave.  I can't find
anything else that looks relevant.  Here's the description.
 A kioslave and kded module that provide Zeroconf support. Try
 "zeroconf:/" in Konqueror.