Re: Seeing files shared from an Apple computer

On 8/4/07, Ross Boylan <RossBoylan@stanfordalumni.org> wrote:
> I enabled "Personal File Sharing" on an iMac on my LAN, but can't seem
> to see the files from KDE.  I have a pretty full installation of KDE
> (testing), including kdnssd, and I have avahi and friends installed (but
> dbus is not enabled).
>
> avahi-browse does seem to show the service: it lists the name of the
> workstation and "Apple File Sharing" (along with a number of other
> services.
>
> Howeve, when I browse in Konqueror under KDE, the only sign of the other
> computer is under "Network Services" | "shared desktops".  This tries to
> launch a remote desktop (RDP) app when I click it, and the connection
> then fails ("the connection to the host has been interrupted").

You probably need AFP/AFS protocol support in your kernel, and the
associated user mode utilities. IIRC, there is a kioslave for that
protocol, it may be in a separate package, however.

--
Andrew Barr

We matter more than pounds and pence,
your economic theory makes no sense...