Re: working with two nics (lan and wlan)

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 04, 2007 at 11:40:14AM -0400, H.S. wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a headless machine on my home network with a LAN card and a wireless
>> card. If my lan cable is connected to its lan card, it gets an IP
>> automatically from my firewall machine. But if I activate the wireless
>> card, the networking seems to hang or freeze. My lan card is on 192.168.0.x
>> network and the wireless card is on 192.168.5.x network.
>>
>> Is there any way I can have both the cards active and networking working?
>> Perhaps by specifying somewhere which network has the higher priority? This
>> is so because there are many situations where I sometimes want both cards
>> up, mainly while trying out various wireless drivers with my wireless card.
>> Another situation when I want to transfer huge amounts data via the wired
>> network (higher speed) to other machines on the local network.
>>
>> Alternatively, I suppose ifplugd can handle multiple cards at the same
>> time. In my situations, can it be configured to use wlan card if it is up,
>> else to use the lan card?
>
> we need more information. what hardware? what do the appropriate
> config files look like? is there any relevant log output? etc etc

Well, it looks like the problem has gone away by itself. I updated the
machine a few times in the last few weeks. To give you more information
as you requested, I rebooted the machine and ... lo and behold ... it
was working fine. So now I can get both the nics up without having the
machine freeze on me. Sorry for all the trouble.

Next, I have a further query. I run another headless box as a firewall,
DNS server (using dnsmasq) and do masquarading to let my wired lan and
wireless computers share the DSL connection (the router machine has
three nics, one connected to the DSL, the second connected a wired
switch and the third is a wireless nic).

I now assign the wlan nic of the previously mentioned computer an IP
address from the WLAN network (192.168.5.x) and a different IP address
to the wired NIC (192.168.0.x). In this scenario, I can only ssh to the
host corresponding to the wired IP address from my other computers. If I
try to ssh to the host corresponding to the wireless IP address, I get
something like the following:
$> ssh -vv wwaja
OpenSSH_4.6p1 Debian-4, OpenSSL 0.9.8e 23 Feb 2007
debug1: Applying options for *
debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
debug1: Connecting to wwaja [192.168.5.20] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file /home/red/.ssh/identity type -1
debug1: identity file /home/red/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type '-----BEGIN'
debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type 'Proc-Type:'
debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type 'DEK-Info:'
debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type '-----END'
debug1: identity file /home/red/.ssh/id_dsa type 2

and nothing happens. The logs in the computer in questions show
something like the following:
Aug  4 18:00:12 waja sshd[3484]: Server listening on :: port 22.
Aug  4 18:00:12 waja sshd[3484]: error: Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0
failed: Address already in use.

Any idea where I should start looking.

thanks,
->HS