Re: converting file system

On Sat, Aug 04, 2007 at 07:42:57AM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 08:23:17PM -0400, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
>
> > This is a great reason to be using LVM with separate LVs.  Need to
> > convert?  Create a new LV, make the new filesystem, tar the data over to
> > it.  When everything is working, delete the old LV.  If you need extra
> > space during the transition, borrow a drive and add it to the VG.
>
> What's the benefit of LVM when I add a separate drive?

It depends on the relative size of the filesystem you want to convert to
the size of your spare drive.  If your spare drive is larger, it doesn't
matter.  If the filesystem is larger, the drive can be added to the VG
to donate its space.  This could be a real issue if your spare drive is
an older, smaller one.  E.g: filesystem is 60 GB, you only have 20 GB
spare in the VG (call it an 80 GB drive), however, you can borrow an
older 40 GB drive.  Add the 40 GB drive to the VG, you now have 60 GB
free to make a temp LV.

Doug.