Re: nfs problem while internet access broken

Stephane Durieux wrote:
> I have noticed that my clients are not declared in
> /etc/hosts

They won't need to be if you use DNS.  But it is acceptable to list
them in the local files.  Local files override network DNS.

> if I put them in /etc/hosts (and in nis table to be useful)
> everything is find.

You should not need to put hosts in NIS/YP and I recommend against it.
NIS/YP for host information is obsolete.  It is a holdover from before
DNS became the dominant protocol.  Having the same data in both places
means that they can get out of sync and that leads to confusion.  The
DRY principle here is don't repeat yourself.

> Nevertheless I don t understand how the nfs can make a
> resolution via dns of a a client whith a private
> address

The NFS mountd will call gethostbyaddr(3).

  man 3 gethostbyaddr

If the information is not available it will fail.  But if dns is not
available it will timeout trying to look it up.

> Perhaps does the server reply it it s impossible and
> everything is fine to log it

Many server processes will look up client ip addresses that connect
and try to log the name.

Bob